How to apply
How to apply - health and wellbeing grants
Applications must follow the latest application guidelines. Please read this first as it outlines the criteria for potential project approval.
Key dates in application process:
- 30 November in each year: deadline for submitting application (except rolling small grants programme)
- January: the trustees will consider the application at their meeting and outcome notified to applicants
- Short listed applications may proceed to a more detailed review with trustees
- A limited number of applications for health and wellbeing projects may be approved
- March/April: further information and/or trustee visit
- June: the remaining applications for health and wellbeing projects will be considered by trustees
- Late June: remaining applicants will be notified of outcome
There are two stages in the grant application process:
1. Application for a health and wellbeing grant
(Please note there is a different application process for medical research projects.)
- The health and wellbeing application form brings together basic information to enable the trustees to confirm whether or not the Evelyn Trust is able to consider the application further. Applications need to be accompanied by a letter from the head of the organisation applying.
- Health and wellbeing applications may be submitted at any time up to a deadline date of 30 November preceding the grant year beginning from, usually, the following July. These are reviewed by Trustees at their January meeting.
- (Applications under the rolling Small Grants Programme may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed shortly thereafter)
- A few projects may be approved at the January Trustees meeting without further review. Other projects will either go on to the review stage or be declined.
- A limited number of Health and Wellbeing applications may also be invited after the January Trustees meeting up to April 30 – please check with the Charity Director.
Where to send the application
In the first instance, please submit an application form by email or by post in the format provided together with the letter from the organisation head, to:
The Charity Directorat evelyntrust[at]aol[dot]com
The Evelyn Trust, P O Box 223, Saffron Walden, Essex CB10 9BP
Receipt of this will be acknowledged.
If you are unsure about the status of your application, please check with the Charity Director, Bill Pike.
2. Trustee visit and review – more detailed supporting information
- An opportunity to meet to discuss the project may be sought in the period February to April.
- If the trustees decide they are able to consider the project further, they will wish to extend their enquiries by requesting a detailed explanation of the work to be done, how it will be achieved and the results and outputs that are being sought, as well as more detailed financial information, annual reports and accounts, and for capital projects copies of estimates, building plans, photographs, artists’ impressions etc.
- Clearly the extent of such additional information will vary from application to application.
- Appropriate expert advice is available to the trustees and the applicant may be requested to provide further information as a result of advice so received.
Allocation of grants
- After final consideration of the reviewed applications at their June meeting Trustees will allocate available funds to the applicants it wishes to support.
- Grants should be available to beneficiaries by July or August after signing agreed grant terms
- Some grants for health and wellbeing projects may be awarded at the January meeting and be available thereafter.
Applicants should be aware that there is a very large demand from applicants for support and, therefore, by no means can all applicants be funded.
Grants are distributed at the Trust's discretion to selected registered charities, institutions and causes. Its reasoning behind its funding decisions cannot be discussed with applicants.